Accountability Theory: How can it improve the response to health needs in Africa?
Read the policy brief/working paper by Phillipa Tucker.
The paper discusses the following issues:
Accountability: What power?
What’s in a commitment?
The problem with commitments
What kind of commitment?
From promises to accountable action
What is Accountability?
- THE ORIGINS OF ACCOUNTABILITY
- ACCOUNTABILITY IN DEMOCRATIC GOVERNANCE
Types of accountability
- VERTICAL ACCOUNTABILITY
- HORIZONTAL ACCOUNTABILITY
- TOP-DOWN ACCOUNTABILITY
Getting accountability: Who and how?
- CIVIL SOCIETY ORGANISATIONS
- HUMAN RIGHTS
- LOSS OF POLITICAL SUPPORT
- CONSTITUTIONAL OBSTRUCTION
- POLITICAL CAMPAIGNING